Saturday, May 1, 2010

5 Days!!!

Hey All!


All the homesickness has led me to compile a list of all the food places I want to try when I get back. (As well as some of my favorites.) So here's the list...


1.   El Manolo (So new it doesn't even have any reviews or menus posted online yet.)
-A brand new tapas restaurant in Washington Heights. Opened by the gourmet supermarket next door. The exact address is W176th Street and Broadway. If you check it out before I do, please let me know what you think.
2.   Rice to Riches
-I have probably mentioned this place before. All they serve here is rice pudding. But the topping options are immense as well as the flavouring options. Trust me. They don't even like your average rice pudding. The shop was recently featured on The Best Thing I Ever Ate and has been mentioned several times in other foodie tv shows. The exact address is Spring Street (between Mott and Mullberry Street).
3.   Katz's Deli
-This infamous NYC deli was featured in When Harry Met Sally (you know the line, "I'll have what she's having...") as well as dozens of other movies and food tv shows, my favourite being No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. Anyway, I passed by there once after eating at Georgia's and immediately recognized it. Unfortunately, I was not able to return there last break but I definitely will this summer. And of course, for their popular pastrami sandwiches. The deli's located at E. Houston, on the corner of Houston and Ludlow Streets.
-Another iconic NYC lunch spot that I have yet to try. I'm most excited about this place because my dearest boyfriend continues to rave about it. Plus, I'm a burger fanatic. So of course this is going on the list. The Shake Shack has multiple locations but the most popular is in Madison Square Park.
-Now, this place was recommended to me by one of my loyal readers. I checked out their menu and honestly, I loved everything on it. The Cafeteria takes all the classic comfort foods and turns them into modern, chic dishes (perfect for the fine dining crowd). It's located on W18th Street and 7th Avenue.
6.   Grom
-I've raved and raved about this place to anyone who would listen (even to those who wouldn't listen). The gelato here are sooooooooooooooo delicious. All their flavours are spot on and the overall idea of the company is fantastic. Before I continue into a long long rant about Grom, check out their website. It'll provide you with the reasons why I love this place. There are two locations in NYC but the one that is closest to my heart is on W76th and Broadway. If you plan on going this summer, try the mandarin orange flavour (it's the flavour of the month), IT'S THE BOMB!
-There are not enough words in any language to describe how much I love the food here. It's just plain old SCRUMPTIOUS, FRESH, UBER DELICIOUS Greek food. I'm sure you've already read my rant so this restaurant is located on W42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.
-Honestly, I don't know that much about this restaurant but I have read tons of amazing reviews of this place. After reading some more about their ideals on their website, I'm really excited about trying this modern take on Mediterranean cuisine. The Grill is located on W55th Street and 8th Avenue.
-It's been ages since I've had some real French food. I'm excited about this place in particular because it serves my favorite kind of French food. The light, fresh, salads and sandwiches packed with tons of that distinct French flavour. It was featured in the show The Best Thing I Ever Ate for their BLT. Choice Market is located in Brooklyn (318 Lafayette Avenue to be exact).
-I've never had British food before. But that's not why I want to try this restaurant. Ever had deep fried pizza? How about deep fried Oreos? Or how about deep fried... well, anything? This place deep fries the craziest things. How awesome does that sound? Check out their website for the full menu. Oh, and if you have leftovers from the night before, bring those with you and they'll deep fry them for you. Chip Shop is located in Brooklyn, on 6th Street and 5th Avenue. (There is one other location in Brooklyn as well.)
 

I could go on but it's way more fun to walk around the city and stop by a restaurant or two whenever you get hungry. Personally, I think it's the best way to find some of the most unique and delicious eats in NYC.


Bis Montag!   

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for the Shake Shack, Grom's, and Dafni's. If I had to choose one of those places to take you to, I would choose.. Katz's Deli! What are you doing Tuesday the 25th?

    ReplyDelete