Thursday, February 3, 2011

Food Deserts

Hey All!


So from my last post you might be curious as to what exactly a food desert is. Well, it is what it sounds like. Any area in the industrialized world where healthy, affordable food is difficult to obtain. And yes, as you know from all my previous posts, Cleveland is a food desert. However, there are many attempts being made to add "water" (haha, get it?) to this desert. Some of these methods include community gardens, farmers markets, and co-ops. Unfortunately, due to the higher prices for healthier foods, there is little community support for co-ops and farmers markets, in particular. As you all know, I wouldn't mind paying a higher price for food that is not only healthier for me but also tastier. It pays off in the long run. And I strongly believe that this ideology should be the norm. So, whether or not you're living in a food desert, I HIGHLY suggest supporting co-ops, farmers markets, CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture), and any other source of healthy foods.


 
D.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment