Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 1 in Spain

Hey All!


Class + Homework + Final Papers + No Sleep = Post Delayed Until Today.


Anyway, starting today I am going to share my "food diary" with you from my time in Spain. This will include names of restaurants that I went to in Salamanca, food reviews (of course), and most importantly pictures. So, look forward to these posts for the next 9 days... (I'm still keeping the schedule of Monday-Friday).

"Arrived in Salamanca. Starving. Going to head out to La Plaza Mayor. Roommate and two other fellow students are tagging along. 
 
First meal in Spain: Bocadillo de Jamon Iberico y una copa de Sangria. Translation: Iberico Ham Sandwich and a glass of Sangria. Quite possibly the best first meal I have ever had in a foreign country. The ham was fatty and a bit chewy like prosciutto. There was this slight nutty (?) flavor that was very subtle but so delicious. Made me want to eat more. Made me sad when it was all gone. Bread was crusty. Like all good bread should be. Sangria was sweet with that hint of bitterness from the Rioja (type of Spanish red wine). It was definitely the best Sangria I've ever had. Best Sangria that one of my fellow classmates ever had too. I can tell I'm going to appreciate the fact that wine is cheaper than water. And the fact that I am of legal age here.
 
First Dinner in Spain: Croquettas, Gambas al Ajillo, Calamari, Coca Cola con Limon. Translation: Fried potato croquettes, baby shrimps in garlic sauce, calamari, and Coca Cola with lemon. Croquettas were fried perfectly. A bit too much potato for my liking. Still good though. Gambas had great garlic flavor. Great citrus background. Probably from the fresh lemons and wine. But were very salty. Saltier than what I'm used to. Calamari were crisp. Not too chewy. Delicious. Coca Cola in general tastes way better in Europe. Goes to show real sugar tastes better than high fructose corn syrup. Stupid Americans.
 
Nightcap: Cafe con Bailey's. Translation: Coffee with Bailey's. Didn't expect it to have half coffee and half Bailey's. Usually it's only a shot of Bailey's. Still. Strong, good, and tasty. Slight burning down the throat. Warm in my stomach. Perfect end to a long day."


Drool on dear readers!
D.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment